Paramour Grange and Paramour Street were named after a prominent Kentish family, the Paramours. The earliest recorded member of the Paramour family at Ash was a John Paramour, who was buried in the local churchyard in 1497. The most illustrious member of the family, who may have been responsible for the painted room a Paramour Grange, was Thomas Paramour, Mayor of Canterbury from around 1607 to 1619.
Large sections of the house were built during the late sixteenth century, when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne; however, there are some doubts and discrepancies as to the date or the original construction of the Grange. It is difficult to be certain but it is likely that sections of the house actually date back much earlier, to around 1400s when it started life as a Hall house.
Generations of the Paramour Family remained at Paramour Grange throughout the early seventeenth century and are believed to have stayed until around the 1650s. Between then and the late seventeenth century it is difficult to know what happened to the ownership and occupation of the Grange, with very few surviving documents or details. However, a good collection of land tax records for Ash show that by the 1690s the house had come into ownership of a Mr Foster and was occupied by a farmer, John Foatt. By the end of the 18th century the farmhouse, garden, orchard and home field (totalling 18 acres) was passed down through the generations of the Wood family to Lawrence Wood. John Bushell and his family lived at the Grange in the 1850s and between 1861 and the late 1890s it was the industrious homestead of Daniel Ralph and his family.
In the early 20th century the Grange became the home of Mrs Susan Wakeham, a widowed ‘farmer and market gardener’ with two daughters, Claire and Susie. It was around 1915 that the unique paintings at Paramour Grange were uncovered, when Henry and Ada Fuller moved in during the early years of the First World War. They continued farming the land but supplemented their income by renting out the house between 1929-33. It is in this tradition that the current owners and residents since 2011, invite you to stay in this extraordinary historical home.